In Podcast #6: How to Make the Best Out of an Internship Gone Bad
Career Coaches Sue and Emily discuss what happens if your summer internship isn’t going well.
In an internship utopia you hope to get the following 4 things out of it:
- Hard & Soft Skills
- Specific Accomplishments
- An understanding if the industry or type of job is a good fit for you
- Build your professional network
We hear from many clients and college students that often they feel like they are getting nothing from their internship, and are just doing the mundane office tasks.
You are not powerless, so don’t just sit there.
You can control the following things:
- Show up on time and always do a good job
- Dress professional
- Think about how you can negotiate a project and approach your supervisor.
- Ask your co-workers to coffee or even for informational interviews
Even if you have tried everything and the internship is not going to improve, develop a story about how you made the best of out a bad situation.
As always call or email us, we would love to help you!